Donate a Car

Donate your car, motorcycle, RV or boat and support the Center

The SF LGBT Center benefits from your vehicle donated through our partner organization, Charitable Adult Rides and Services (CARS).

Think of it as recycling. You'll not only benefit yourself with a tax-deductible donation, but that car donation will support the Center’s community culture and programs including counseling, job fairs, computer lab, social activities, mentorships, youth meals, various workshops, and much more.

Just call a CARS representative toll-free at (877) 537-5277 for questions and to schedule a pickup that's convenient for you. Or, complete the form below.

CALL: (877) 537-5277



General Q&A
What are the benefits of donating my car to the Center?
The Center benefits by receiving a cash donation to fund new and existing programs and increase community awareness through local events.
You benefit by being able to reduce your taxable income when taxes are itemized. Plus you avoid the costs associated with selling your car. No need to pay for advertising, no loss of privacy and possible security risk, and no need to pay for vehicle registration, insurance, and repairs to keep your car in running condition while you wait for a buyer.
Does my car have to be running to donate it?
No. In some cases we can take your car, running or not. However, it must have an engine and be tow-able. Contact a CARS representative at (877) 537-5277 to find out if your vehicle qualifies for pick-up.
Do you only accept cars for donation? 
Many types of motor vehicles are accepted including boats, motorcycles, trucks, and cars, motor-homes, airplanes, time-shares, and even houses. If you are uncertain as to whether or not your vehicle is eligible, please contact the CARS vehicle donation program toll free at (877) 537-5277.
How long will it take to pick up my vehicle?
We make donating your car as simple and convenient as possible. In some cases, if we receive your call early in the day, a same-day pick can be available. A tow company will contact you within two to three business days. Call our CARS representatives at (877) 537-5277.
Do I have to be with the vehicle at the time of pick-up? 
No. Special arrangements can be made by calling our representatives.
What paperwork do I need? 
The only paperwork needed is a signed, clear title. Have your title with you when you call in your donation. [Please note: a clear title indicates the title is in the name of the donor without a lien].
Do I need a smog certificate in order to donate my car?
For states that require smog certificates or safety inspections, you may donate your vehicle without these documents.
What if I receive legal notices?
In the rare event that you receive any notification of a lien sale, DMV action, or other activity related to your donated vehicle, please contact CARS at (877) 537-5277 immediately for assistance.
Tax-related Q&A
How does the new law effect my tax deduction?
You will receive IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes if the proceeds from the sale exceed $500, stating the amount of the gross proceeds from the sale of the donated vehicle.
Will I get a tax receipt for my donation?
Yes, you will receive an IRS Form 1098C in the event that the sale of the vehicle exceeds $500. If the vehicle does not exceed $500, the thank you letter that you will receive can used as a tax receipt.
What can I claim as a deduction?
According to the tax law effective January 1, 2005, if the claimed value of the donated vehicle exceeds $500, the taxpayer is limited to the gross proceeds of the sale.
An IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your car, provided your vehicle sold for more than $500 and you have submitted your social security number. This will be your tax receipt for your charitable contribution.
How is the value determined on the vehicle donated?
The value is determined by the gross proceeds raised from the sale of the donated vehicle.
What if my car is valued over $5000?
Effective January 1, 2005, you are no longer required to have vehicles appraised. The value you may claim will be the amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle.
Contact Name: 
Development Dept.